Saturday, 29 December 2007

Happy New Year to you all!


Well it’s nearly the end of 2007 and I can’t let the year finish without wishing you all a Happy New Year! Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to subscribe to or read my blog over the last few months. I started this blog in April to help me learn to write. It’s been challenging but fun.

Since starting the blog, I’ve had over a 1000 visits from over 60 countries (see map). Incredibly I have not had a single comment posted. I guess I should not be surprised since I regularly read blog posts but rarely make a comment. If you read this, make a comment – even if it’s just to say “Hi”.

The most popular content by far has been my write up of Dynamics NAV 5.1 Reporting and Web Services. I took the time to review the video preview of the upcoming release and wrote what I saw and gave my opinion. This goes to show how much interest there is in the new version of Dynamics NAV (now codenamed as “6.0” but more than likely to be called “Dynamics NAV 2009.”)

I spent a lot of time researching and writing a series of postings on the new send-to-application feature in NAV 5.0. This exercise was time consuming and ultimately fruitless. It’s hard to know what to write about. I wanted this blog to be original and tried to avoid re-posting news from other sites or forums. I am still perplexed as to how you get your blog postings included in the Google Alerts for Dynamics NAV.

Probably the most satisfying moment was when the good people at PACKT publishing agreed to send me a free copy of David Studebaker’s book on programming Microsoft Dynamics NAV in return for a review posted on my blog and Amazon. I was really stoked to get something free from my blog. I am pleased with my book review but I don’t think David or Packt were that impressed.

2007 has been a tough year but I am looking forward to 2008. IT is a funny business, we’re always looking for the next big thing. I’m sure as soon as I get my hands on the new Dynanics NAV I’ll be wanting the next realease. One of the real highlights of my working year has been working with one of the industries real stars. Chommy Cash is a NAV and .NET programmer extrordinaire who is sadly leaving us to start an Alpaca farm in the Himalayas. Chommy, if you’re reading this (which I’m sure you won’t since you never read anything I write), I’ll miss you and wish you all the best for the future.

Enjoy your celebrations, and remember to add to your resolutions: “I must leave comments on the blogs I read.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave

Merry Xmas mate, thought I better post a comment just so that you can see that we care ;). Although I only have a passing interest in NAV I do enjoy your blog posts, although I am surprised that you still think MS CRM and SSRS are good products!

Stu.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Happy New Year. Its nice of you to think about wishing people at the end of the year. I should say that the book review on our NAV book was amazing. I enjoyed reading your review and thought to tell you that people buying the book found your review helpful and i really appreciate it!

Shriharsha Bhat

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

A little bit late, but since I am a newcommer to this blog, I hope it still counts :-)

Best,

Vjeko