Thursday, 25 September 2008

SQL Code Beautifier

It's funny - I've looked for some kind of "improve my layout" type function in SQL Management Studio loads of times but never found it. Then (and I don't know why I never tried this before) I searched for SQL Code Beautifier in Live Search and came to this site: http://www.ubitsoft.com/products/t-sql-beautifier/index.php.

The resulting code looks great, AND you can get an HTML rendering to post in your blog posts. Nice!

Why did I need to beautify my code - well the first time I needed it was when I had to edit someone else's SQL that believed carriage returns were not necessary. The second time (that prompted me today) was when I wanted to see the result from creating a dynamic SQL command - I printed the command but it came out as a single line of text, so I wanted to see what it looked like to be able to check for errors.

This nice tool is definintely going to save me heaps of time. Maybe someone should write a C/AL code beautifier.

No comments: